Produced by the City of Mauldin, the annual festival is a showcase of the heritage of our community, from its food to its music.
The Mauldin BBQ Cook-off features more than 20 cookers from all over the Southeast, competing to bring the best BBQ to Mauldin. The festival opens Friday night with our Anything Butt competition, where Participating Cookers serve anything BUTT their BBQ to pique your tastebuds. Sliders, grilled chicken, smoked cobbler—the only way to know what’s cooking is to come try it for yourself.
Saturday features the main event, a BBQ Cook-off competition with a panel of certified BBQ Tasters from the South Carolina Barbeque Association. The public will also have a chance to cast their vote for the best BBQ and the winner of the People’s Choice Award.
Paired with live music and family fun, this can’t-miss festival is the perfect pig-out.
Want to know what to expect before you get here? Download our event guide here!
- Lawn chairs and/or blankets are welcome at the outdoor amphitheater.
- Outside food and beverages are prohibited. Food and beverage vendors will be on-site.
- Attendees must be age 21+ to consume alcohol. An ID and wristband will be required. Wristbands may be obtained at the ticket tents.
- Dogs are allowed on leash. Please carry disposable bags to pick up any pet droppings.
- Smoking, skateboards, and bicycles are not allowed at this event.
Music and BBQ go together like…well, music and BBQ. All performances are free of charge and will be held in the Mauldin Cultural Center’s Outdoor Amphitheater right on the festival grounds. Bring your lawn chair and blankets to relax, digest, and enjoy the music! Remember — outside food and beverages are prohibited, and this is a smoke-free event.
The Kids Zone is open Friday and Saturday. All activities are FREE!
Face Painting by LouLouMooShu
Balloon Twisting by The Charming Balloon (Saturday Only)
Kids Activities with the Greenville Swamp Rabbits
SPONSORS AND VENDORS
Thank you to our 2022 sponsors:
ANYTHING BUTT SPONSOR
Blood Drive on Saturday 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Donors get a $20 e-gift card and a free SOOIE. tasting tickets.
Kona Ice • Crave Cookies • Chocolate Artworks
We have plenty of opportunities for you or your group to volunteer at this year’s BBQ Cook-Off. Volunteers are needed both Friday and Saturday.
Just a few rules/regulations:
- Please sign up for only one position per timeframe, as you can only do one job at a time. Each shift is around three hours, but feel free to sign up for multiple shifts.
- Volunteers must be high school age or older. Some positions are only for those age 18+ or 21+. Middle school students may partner with a parent/adult to volunteer.
- Volunteers should bring a can-do attitude and some room for ‘cue in their bellies!
Volunteers will receive a free t-shirt and tickets for food on Friday or a tasting pass on Saturday.
Check back for our 2023 volunteer registration! Interested in volunteering at other events and shows at the Mauldin Cultural Center? Sign up for our volunteer e-blast!
2023 TEAM REGISTRATION
EVENT DATE: Friday, September 15 & Saturday, September 16, 2023
Only 30 BBQ Team slots are open this year. The event is sanctioned, and judged by the SC BBQ Association, and will award cash prizes to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th places. Teams are required to participate in Friday’s “Anything Butt” competition and showcase their non-BBQ skills (as well as give our lovely guests something to chow down on).
A $175 registration fee is REQUIRED and due for each team at the time of application. The fee is non-refundable for accepted Teams. The City of Mauldin reserves the right to reject any registration. If for some reason your registration is denied, you will receive a full refund. If for some reason you cancel after your registration has been received, accepted, and processed, you will be issued a refund if and only if the Event Coordinators can fill the empty slot with another cook team.
Check out our prizes for 2023:
- 1st – $2,500
- 2nd – $2,000
- 3rd – $1,500
- 4th – $1,000
- 5th – $500
- Anything Butt – Free 2024 Registration
- People’s Choice – Free 2024 Registration
Full scores are available on the South Carolina Barbeque Association’s website
ANYTHING BUTT – SAVORY:
ANYTHING BUTT – SWEET:
The Hog Mafia
BRISKET | 2ND PLACE:
Atta Boy BBQ
THE TONY LINDSEY BRISKET AWARD | 1ST PLACE:
RIBS | 5TH PLACE:
RIBS | 4TH PLACE:
RIBS | 3RD PLACE:
Piggy Finns BBQ
RIBS | 2ND PLACE:
Monkey Bottom Boys
RIBS | 1ST PLACE:
High on the Hog BBQ
GABE HUNTER PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD:
Atta Boy BBQ
BBQ COOK-OFF | 5TH PLACE:
BBQ COOK-OFF | 4TH PLACE:
Piggy Fins BBQ
BBQ COOK-OFF | 3RD PLACE:
BBQ COOK-OFF | 2ND PLACE:
BBQ COOK-OFF | 1ST PLACE:
High on the Hog BBQ